DID YOU KNOW ? (raise your dental IQ PART III)

There are a lot of things that we do wrong as dentists… THATS RIGHT! I SAID IT! I’M ADMITTING FAULT!

The ‘latest’ news comes and goes, becomes part of our general understanding, or what I like to call our “Dental IQ” & then us dentists forget that some of these newsworthy items are still new news to the majority of the population! I came across this ‘older’ information list recently and (although its not new news) is still VERY relevant and important.

“Bad gums could be as strong a risk factor for heart attacks as smoking cigarettes, which is to blame for about 40,000 heart-related deaths a year.” (Daniel Haney, AP Medical Director, February 17, 1998)

“A new study of fatty deposits lodged in the carotid arieries of stroke sufferers shows that 70% contain bacteria and 40% of that bacteria comes from the mouth.” (USA Today, April 14,1998)

“Men with periodontal disease have a stronger propensity for cardio-vascular disease than men without periodontal disease, with those under 50 with periodontal disease having a greater lisk than those over 50.”
(J Periodontal 1998: 69:841-850)

“Diabetics with gum disease were three times more likely to have heart attacks then those without gum disease.” (USA Today, April 14, 1998)

“Under the surface…are pockets of infection that contain billions of bacteria. If this oozing mess was out where it could be seen, it would be a bone-deep sore the size ofthe palms of both hands.”
(Daniel Haney, AP Medical Director, February 17, 1998)

“Women with gum disease are seven to eight times more likely to give birth prematurely to low birth-weight babies.” (USA Today, April 14, 1998)

“Bacteria in plaque are linked to lung infections in people with chronic lung diseases such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.”
(USA Today, February 17,1998)

“It appears that the extent of sites with probing depths >3mm is strongly related to the incidence of total coronary heart disease.” (Annals of Periodontology, Vo!.3, #1, July 1998; 127-141)

“Studies also suggest that good oral hygiene habits may improve fertility in sub-fertile males.”
(Internet, Dentist: Oral Health and Hygiene, September, 1999)

For those of you that enjoyed this article (and made it to the end)… here is a quote from a bumper sticker for fun: “Life is short – Running makes it seem longer”

8 Responses to “DID YOU KNOW ? (raise your dental IQ PART III)”

Read below or add a comment...

1. Hugh says:

Excellent! This information was a real eye opener to me. It’s nice to see a dentist keeping his patients (and others) informed with up to date information. No wonder he’s one of the most popular dentists in his area. It’s that little extra effort.

2. Nakisha says:

I thought your article was very interesting, I had no idea that gum disease could cause so much damage, or possibly even take your life. What exactly is Periodontal Disease anyway? And why do the men under fifty have more chance of having cardio-vascular disease then men over fifty? What is the best way to get rid of this disease? Thank you for opening my eyes to this issue I will get my husband to the dentist right away.

3. Kyle says:

What the Dentist / Author states at the very start of this article makes a lot of sense. That is the way it goes for most things. When we become so entrenched in our work (whatever field that may be), we tend to forget that we are experts in our field and what we learned at the inception of our education or training and consider fundamental knowledge is news to those who do not practice our given profession. After all, that is why those other people pay us for our expertise, whether we get paid directly or receive our remuneration indirectly.

4. Eddie says:

Your blog pointed out a few things that have raised concerns with me about my husband’s health and his teeth. I am going to do some very in depth research on this subject and get him an appointment with a dentist immediately. I appreciate your blog and the fact that you took the time to point out all of this information. All though is concerns me greatly I still am happy that you brought it to my attention.

5. Natalie says:

This is a great blog, I can not believe the amount of stuff that can be effected health wise just because of bad teeth or gums. Why is that anyway, I don’t think anyone has ever explained it to me. I am a little worried about my husband now though because his gums aren’t the greatest they always look a little inflamed to me and red so I think he needs to see a dentist right away. I appreciate this information, I am going to give it to him to read and maybe it will scare him enough to set up an appointment. Thank you so much.

6. Ricardo says:

I appreciate the information you put in your new blog but I couldn’t help but notice that you did not mention anything about Gingivitis gum disease. Is it as bad as far as affecting your heart as these others you mentioned? I know it is bad but I was wondering just how bad. If you wouldn’t mind making another post explaining the effects of Gingivitis I would appreciate it.

7. Jaime says:

Thank you for posting this information, especially about men younger than fifty being effected more than those over fifty. You have definitely enlightened me about a few things I was unaware of and now that I do know about them I can get the whole family to the dentist for a much needed check up to head anything like this off at the pass. Much appreciated information. Is this information basically the same for women? If it isn’t would you mind posting the concerns women should have.

8. JosephTorson says:

Nice info if you ask me. Thnx a lot for sharing this info.

Joseph Torson