ANTARCTIC MARINE ECOSYSTEM RESEARCH

(click on the photos to enlarge)

In the austral summers of 1996 and 1997 (click on the photos to enlarge) Dr. Vanek was part of two unique research expeditions funded by the National Science Foundation. Located here is a brief overview of some of the research that took place including personal photos and accounts of the experience. The attached slides were from a powerpoint presentation given to the Orange County Alumni Chapter of Sigma Chi on August 31st, 2011.MVI_1456

7 Responses to “ANTARCTIC MARINE ECOSYSTEM RESEARCH”

Read below or add a comment...

1. lotollapro says:

How could you tolerate the cold there?

• Dr. Vanek says:

We were there during the austral summer (our winter = their summertime). Its like a nice day on the ski slopes… brisk, but usually sunny and not that cold – easy to get a sunburn!

2. Brighton says:

Incredible pictures! Almost makes me want to go there.

3. sindewado says:

What was it like in Antarctica?

• Dr. Vanek says:

Thanks for asking! If I was to say a few things quickly (besides the obvious beautiful landscapes, marine life, etc. etc.):

#1 Its not as cold as you would think (during their summer months)

#2 Its AMAZINGLY quiet. There are no insects… i.e. birds/bees, etc. etc. sounds of nature do not exist as they do here (not to mention cars, trucks, freeways).

#3 NONE of the animals there are domesticated. As a result they (penguins, sea lions, birds, orcas, etc) have ZERO fear of humans & interact with you in a way you couldn’t imagine.

4. Oretha Vasso says:

Thanks for another wonderful article. Where else could anyone get that kind of info in such an ideal way of writing? I’ve a presentation next week, and I am on the look for such info.

5. Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and aid others like you helped me.

Leave A Comment...